In the premiere episode of Digital Diversity, we’re talking with Maeling Tapp, the fabulous natural hair blogger/vlogger known online as Natural Chica. She started her blog in 2009 as a way of documenting her transition from relaxed to natural hair. Since then the site has blossomed into a place where she shares tips & video tutorials to help others with their natural hair journeys.
Mae has built an audience of over 130,000 YouTube subscribers, over 90,000 Facebook fans, over 30,000 Twitter followers and a community of loyal readers. Along the way, she’s the been featured in The New York Times, NPR and Essence. Ebony highlighted her a “natural hair blogger you should know.” On top of that, she’s pursuing a pursuing a PhD in materials engineering and she’s a newlywed!
So how does she do it? Tune in to our conversation to find out:
- How Natural Chica launched her blog
- Tactics for “crowdsourcing” content
- Tips for getting started on YouTube
- Encouragement for finding you voice to stand out in a crowded (digital) space
- Advice for moving past your fear to follow your dreams
- How to leverage relationships to build your own blog or brand
Check out the video above. And let me know what you think in the comments section below!
Latest posts by Lauren (see all)
- #BlackLivesMatter - July 25, 2016
- How to learn to code: 30+ online resources - April 4, 2016
- Verizon to Award $6M to Innovators to Change the World - June 4, 2014