In the premiere episode of Digital Diversity, we’re talking with Maeling Tapp, the fabulous natural hair blogger/vlogger known online as Natural Chica. She started her blog in 2009 as a way of documenting her transition from relaxed to natural hair. Since then the site has blossomed into a place where she shares tips & video tutorials to help others with their natural hair journeys.
Mae has built an audience of over 130,000 YouTube subscribers, over 90,000 Facebook fans, over 30,000 Twitter followers and a community of loyal readers. Along the way, she’s the been featured in The New York Times, NPR and Essence. Ebony highlighted her a “natural hair blogger you should know.” On top of that, she’s pursuing a pursuing a PhD in materials engineering and she’s a newlywed!
So how does she do it? Tune in to our conversation to find out:
- How Natural Chica launched her blog
- Tactics for “crowdsourcing” content
- Tips for getting started on YouTube
- Encouragement for finding you voice to stand out in a crowded (digital) space
- Advice for moving past your fear to follow your dreams
- How to leverage relationships to build your own blog or brand
Check out the video above. And let me know what you think in the comments section below!